A Legendary Investment Banker Shares His 24 Rules of Success
Richard Jenrette, who co-founded the investment bank Donaldson, Lufkin & Jenrette in 1959, died last week from complications of cancer at the age of 89. However, he left behind on his desk 24 rules to succeed — in finance, and in life. The list, titled “What I Learned,” was shared Sunday at his memorial service. Here’s what it said:
- Stay in the game. That’s often all you need to do – don’t quit. Stick around! Don’t be a quitter!
- Don’t burn bridges (behind you)
- Remember – Life has no blessing like a good friend!
- You can’t get enough of them
- Don’t leave old friends behind – you may need them
- Try to be nice and say “thank you” a lot!
- Stay informed/KEEP LEARNING!
- Study — Stay Educated. Do Your Home Work!! Keep learning!
- Cultivate friends of all ages – especially younger
- Run Scared — over-prepare
- Be proud — no Uriah Heep for you! But not conceited. Know your own worth.
- Plan ahead but be prepared to allow when opportunity presents itself.
- Turn Problems into Opportunities. Very often it can be done. Problems create opportunities for change — people willing to consider change when there are problems.
- Present yourself well. Clean, clean-shaven, dress “classically” to age. Beware style, trends. Look for charm. Good grammar. Don’t swear so much — it’s not cute.
- But be open to change — don’t be stuck in mud. Be willing to consider what’s new but don’t blindly follow it. USE YOUR HEAD – COMMON SENSE.
- Have some fun – but not all the time!
- Be on the side of the Angels. Wear the White Hat.
- Have a fall-back position. Heir and the spare. Don’t leave all your money in one place.
- Learn a foreign language.
- Travel a lot — around the world, if possible.
- Don’t criticize someone in front of others.
- Don’t forget to praise a job well done (but don’t praise a poor job)
- I don’t like to lose — but don’t be a poor loser if you do.
- It helps to have someone to love who loves you (not just sex).
- Keep your standards high in all you do.
- Look for the big picture but don’t forget the small details.
Author: Yuri Punj
An interesting article was posted by CNBC by Jessica Dickler that highlighted the top colleges for financial aid. The piece focuses on a ranking conducted…Read More
It’s the time of the year when students start researching and applying for the institutions, where they want to study in. Quite often, it becomes…Read More
You can stop being crazy about searching for the MBA application deadlines 2019 across the websites of various business schools and other forums. Here is an…Read More
WHAT IS TOEFL IBT TEST? The TOEFL IBT test gauges your english language at the university level. It works on four major parts i.e. your…Read More