B Maths | Institutes| Eligibility | Admission | Career | Difference with BSc Math
A Bachelor of Mathematics is an undergraduate program awarded for study in mathematics including applied mathematics, actuarial science, computer science or statistics. The Bachelor of Mathematics degree is frequently abbreviated as B. Math or BMath. The duration of a B Math course is typically three years with a fourth “honours” year in China and Australia and University of Waterloo (Canada). However, according to latest data B Math programs often take nearly five years to complete because of coop or internship placements.
The B.Math.(Hons.) degree programme offers broad instruction in basic mathematics along with basic courses in probability, Statistics, Computing and Physics. After successful completion of B Math degree, students pursue higher studies in the areas of Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, and Mathematical Physics or take up a career in applications of Mathematics. In India this programme is offered only by Bangalore center of ISI only. The faculty is so down to earth and always helpful. The students are some of the brightest minds and more importantly, some of the most trained minds of India. The ISI is a rich source of prestige and pride among academically inclined people.
About the program
The program teaches pure mathematics, mathematical physics, statistics and slightly computer science. A student interested in mathematics will obviously like the course. The course demands rigorous study and to survive the course you have to do hard work. The faculties and library are lot more than enough for a student’s need. The course is not oriented for building a career in the industry. Those qualifying the course with 60%+ aggregate with honours get direct entry to the M. Math course. Students also get inspired by being exposed to higher mathematics and research facilities where active researchers take the classes, which in turn is a great opportunity for UG students.
Students admitted to this course will be given initially a stipend, which is, at present Rs.3000/- only per month and an annual contingency grant of Rs.3000/- only. Students are not required to pay any fees. Students will be warned at the end of each semester if the performance is unsatisfactory and in which case his/her stipend may be withdrawn fully or partially. A student who fails to get promotion at the end of the First Year or the Second Year is asked to discontinue the programme.
Each academic year has two semesters with a recess in-between. The session starts in July and ends in May. The B. Math (Hons.) programme has twenty eight one-semester credit courses and a non-credit course on Writing of Mathematics
Another program similar in standard with B Maths is the B Sc Maths program at CMI (Chennai Mathematical Institute). Both the institutes have produced brilliant students capable of competing nationally and internationally. The only difference is that ISI Bangalore treats Statistics as the second most important subject (after all, it is the “Statistical” institute) while CMI treats Computer Programming as the most important subject after Mathematics. That said, Statistics and Computer Programming are innately related to each other. The standard of both the programs are exceptionally high, in comparison to any other mathematics course in India. Some of the greatest mathematicians of India are from ISI and the alumni are well suited to teach in any of the world’s Ivy League universities.
In order to be eligible for admission, a student should have successfully completed 10+2 years of Higher Secondary Education (or its equivalent) with Mathematics and English as subjects of study.
Method of Selection
Candidates will have to take the selection test comprising objective and short answer type questions in Mathematics at the Higher Secondary level (10+2 years programme). Based on performance in the tests, candidates will be selected and called for the Personal Interview round. List of candidates selected for admission is announced after interviews.
Usually applications are called for in February/March of every year. This will be notified in major English dailies. You may also check out www.isical.ac.in/~deanweb.
Difference between the BMath and BSc Math
Generally speaking, both are a Bachelor of Science degree with a specialty in mathematics. The difference is in most cases bureaucratic, rather than curriculum related. However, institutes offering Bachelor of Mathematics degrees often argue for a separate degree.
However, in India, a B Math degree from ISI Bangalore is considered the best undergrad degree in Maths and is in no way comparable with B.Sc Math degrees from other colleges except for the one from CMI (Chennai Mathematical Institute) which is considered the second best, if not equal.
Institutions offering B Math degrees outside India
- Flinders University, Adelaide, South Australia
- Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Queensland
- The Australian National University, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory (a Bachelor of Mathematical Sciences BMASC)
- University of Adelaide, Adelaide, South Australia (a Bachelor of Mathematical Sciences BMathSc or Bachelor of Mathematical and Computer Sciences BMath&CompSc)
- University of Newcastle, Newcastle, New South Wales
- University of Queensland, Brisbane, Queensland
- University of South Australia, Adelaide, South Australia (a Bachelor of Mathematical Sciences BMathSc)
- University of Wollongong, Wollongong, New South Wales
- University of Dhaka, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Jagannath University, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- University of Chittagong, Chittagong, Bangladesh
- Noakhali University of Science and Technology, Noakhali, Bangladesh
- Carleton University, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
- University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada (BMath or BCS – Computer Science)
- University of Windsor, Windsor, Ontario, Canada
- Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, Netherlands (degree programme website)
- Tomsk State University, Tomsk, Russia
- Voronezh State University, Voronezh, Russia
- Novosibirsk State University, Novosibirsk, Russia
- Black Hills State University
- University of Colorado, Boulder
- Polytechnic University of the Philippines – Taguig Campus
- University of the Philippines Los Baños
- Ateneo de Manila University
- Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology
- University of Mines and Technology
Higher study options after completing B Maths-
- Master of Science in Financial Mathematics
- Master of Science in Social Research Methods and Statistics
- Master of Science in Mathematical Trading and Finance
- Master of Science in Mathematics and Computing for Finance
- Master of Science in Statistics with Applications in Medicine
- Master of Science in Operational Research and Finance
- Master of Science in Applied Mathematical Modelling and Scientific Computing
- Master of Science in Pure Mathematics
- Master of Science in Mathematical economics
- Master of Science in Bio-statistics
- Master of Science in Applied Mathematics
- Master of Science in Agricultural Statistics
- Master of Science in Mathematical Statistics
- Master of Science in Pure Mathematics
- Master of Science in Computational Mathematics
- Master of Arts in Mathematics
- Master of Arts in Mathematical Statistics
- Master of Philosophy in Applied Mathematics
- Master of Philosophy in Mathematics
- Master of Philosophy in Statistics
- Master of Philosophy in Computing and Mathematical Sciences
- Ph.D in Mathematics
- Ph.D in Math Education
Scopes for B.Math are aplenty in India as well as in abroad. After completing B Maths students can join the teaching profession or may join an industry after completing the course. However, most go for post graduation. After post graduation one can write the tests like NET or SLET for being recruited as professors in college or universities or JRF for junior research fellowship.
At ISI, Masters is the minimum qualification for full time job offers. However, there are companies who offer internship opportunities after 2nd year or 3rd year.
After completing M.Math the salary is also extremely pretty good. Average CTC is around 16–17 lac per annum and highest offer is more than 32 lac per annum.
Major Recruiters are Goldman Sachs, Capital One, Walmart Labs, Linkedin, UBS, Deloitte qt al and job roles include Quant/Data Scientist/Business Analyst. At ISI after Masters you will get 13–36 lac per annum packages if you have done both undergrad and post grad from ISI.
Author: Baishali Mukherjee
Profile- An independent writer and journalist for last nine years; presently working with Education World, Entrepreneur India, Scrabbl.com and Stoodnt.com. Worked as the content head for four books and have articles and features published in leading print and digital media spaces.
In today’s world, trends are the backbone of any brand. Finance, Marketing, and Advertising play a huge role in it. Thus, resulting in the success…Read More
By Persainjit Singh, CEO, Extraclass.com It was always going to happen. Art of learning, as we have seen has always…Read More
Today’s economy is so driven by data that businesses are hunting talented data scientists who can turn these overwhelming amounts of data gathered by the…Read More
By Sankha Acharya an independent communication professional with an entrepreneurial bug How does it feel like when someone double-taps on your photo?…Read More