Click Here » Summer Program
Last Updated on May 8, 2022
Post the human genome project and sequencing projects in other organisms, there has been a huge growth of rich biological data. Bioinformatics is defined as the application of tools of computation and analysis to the capture and interpretation of biological data. Along with computational biology, bioinformatics plays an important role in modern biology, medicine, and drug discovery. After two successful years, we are now opening up the registrations for the Online Bioinformatics and Computational Biology Summer Program for High School Students. This year, we will focus a little more on the Statistics and Programming sides.
What is Bioinformatics?
- Bioinformatics is the application of tools of computation and analysis to the capture and interpretation of biological data
- Bioinformatics is essential for the management of data in modern biology and medicine
- The bioinformatics toolbox includes computer software programs such as BLAST and Ensembl, which depend on the availability of the internet
- Analysis of genome sequence data, particularly the analysis of the human genome project, is one of the main achievements of bioinformatics to date
- Prospects in the field of bioinformatics include its future contribution to a functional understanding of the human genome, leading to the enhanced discovery of drug targets and individualized therapy
What is Biostatistics?
Biostatistics is the study of data analysis and statistical reasoning applied practically to medicine and public health. It plays an integral role in modern medicine in everything from analyzing data to determining if a treatment will work to developing clinical trials.
Bioinformatics and Biostatistics Summer Program 2022 Details and Curriculum
Why should you attend this Biology Summer Program as a High School Student?
Bioinformatics and computational biology are changing the way biomedical discoveries are made. Next-generation sequencing technologies allow scientists to reveal the genomes of everything from viruses to humans.
- In this summer program, you will be introduced to the biology of modern genomics and experimental tools and techniques to solve biomedical problems.
- You will learn to develop a scientific question, design an experiment to test hypotheses, critically analyze and interpret genomic data, and communicate scientifically.
- There will be the opportunity to get hands-on practice with BLAST software and R programming.
- The summer Bootcamp is an exciting introduction to the real-world applications of biology for high school students interested in becoming medical doctors, physicians, and scientists.
Summer Program Curriculum (Online)
|Classes||Module||Content||Duration and Components|
|Class 1||Molecular Biology and Genomics||• Students will learn the advanced theoretical concepts of Genes, Genomics, DNA, RNA, Protein, and Bioinformatics Tools.|
• RNA and mRNA
• Application of various software for m-RNA analysis
• Practical Assignment: how to perform DNA isolation at home?
|1 hour class + 1 hour practical + 1 hour doubt clearing (next day)|
|Class 2||Bioinformatics (BLAST software)||Learn how the novel Coronavirus has possibly evolved with the help of the interesting BLAST software. It allows you to see the similarity between different species. It is awesome how a simple computer program can give vivid information about the origin of a virus!||1 hours class + 1 hour practical|
|Class 3||Biostatistics and Molecular Docking||• Biostatistics and Genetics|
• Use of Statistics
• Data Storage Software
• Sequence Alignment
• Molecular Docking
|2 hour class and Demo|
|Class 4||R Programming I||• Introduction to R programming and its Applications |
• Download and installation of R package and R studio
• Working with R variables, functions
|1 hours class + 1 hour practical|
|Class 5||R Programming II||• Storing data in R |
• Installing and working with tidyverse packages
• Plotting with ggplot2
|1 hours class and demo + 1 hour practical + 1 hour optional doubt clearing session (next day)|
|Class 6||Career and College Admissions||- Careers and Courses|
- Skills & Job Guidance
- College Admissions (Profile Building, College List, Essay Guidance)
|2.5 hours of guidance by Ex Harvard & Oxford and Q&A Session|
How this Summer Program Can Help You?
There are many kids who enjoy Biology. But, they are not always sure of which career path to take. Be it MBBS, Forensic Science, Microbiology, or Biotechnology – nothing is easy.
So, it’s only wise to evaluate all the options, and then take a well-informed decision.
The choice of a subject may define your career and your life thereof. From a wide range of study and career options in the biotechnology and bio-sciences domain, you need to identify your core strengths and choose an avenue you are confident of.
Various factors deter students from pursuing this particular stream which is perhaps the most sought-after domain. For those who love science, but are apprehensive of pursuing a career in engineering or medicine, this one’s for you. Take all liberty to choose from a range of alternative career options in biology and biosciences.
This program is ideal for Grade 11 and 12 students. However, Grade 9 and Grade 10 students with an interest in programming are also welcome. Additionally, check out our Biotechnology and Biomedical Sciences Summer Program (ideal for Grade 8 -12 Students).
Wish to Attend the Summer Program?
Summer Program Dates, Timing, Fee and Other Details
- 1st Batch: May 17 – 28
- 2nd Batch: June 7 – 18
- 3rd Batch: July (TBC)
Timing: Afternoon / Evening
Fees and Scholarships
- Program Fee: Rs. 11,800 (all-inclusive)
- Early-Bird Discount: 15%
- Scholarship Discount: 30%
Scholarships will be awarded on the basis of the responses on the application form (applicants will be required to write two short essays and answer one additional question). Apply Now for the Bioinformatics and Biostatistics Summer Program 2022.
Summer Program Certificates
Certificates will be provided to the students (by SHRM Biotechnologies and Stoodnt) only on the successful completion of the program and assignments.
About SHRM Biotechnologies
SHRM Biotechnologies Pvt. Ltd. is a Biotechnology & Life Sciences Training & Education Company. They have been providing laboratory and skill-based training to UG & PG students from 100+ Universities & Colleges in India that include IIT, NIT, BHU, Amity, SRM, Adamas, LPU, etc.
SHRM has one of the finest laboratory facilities and with the latest advanced equipment’s to work on all the aspects of Biosciences like Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Immunology, Biochemistry, Analytical, etc.
Faculty Members and Mentors
- Dr. Nilanjan Banerjee, Ex Senior Research Fellow, Bose Institute
- Dr. Rupak Roy, Research Scientist- Environmental Biotechnology at SHRM, Ex Research Scholar, NIT
- Priya Mitra, Research and Training Coordinator, SHRM Biotech, MSc Microbiology (Bangalore University)
- Ankita Murmu, Data Curation Intern, NuGenomics, MTech Biotechnology (KITS) & BTech Biotechnology (LPU)
- Tanmoy Ray, Stoodnt, Inc. (Ex Oxford, Utrecht University, UNSW, Aston University, WBUT)
- Ajay Singh, Stoodnt, Inc. (Ex Harvard, UT Austin, IIT-Roorkee)
How to Apply / Register for this Summer Program?
Fill out the Google Form by clicking here or the Google Form below: