Bioscience and Pre-Medical Summer School Program in India for Students in Grade 8 – 12
We have been receiving tons of queries related to summer schools and the best summer programs for high school kids over the past couple of years. A significant chunk of queries is related to summer school programs on medical science, life sciences, biology and biotechnology for high school students. Unfortunately, we had to disappoint those students and parents as we didn’t come across any specialized summer program on medicine or biological sciences in India. So, we decided to take things in our own hands. You asked we listened – presenting the Bioscience and Pre-Medical Summer School Program for High School Students by SHRM Biotechnologies in association with Stoodnt, Inc.
Latest Announcement (Nov 14, 2019): We had a great response in 2019 in Kolkata. We received tons of requests from parents from other cities as well.
Hence, we have decided to conduct the bio-medical summer school program in two cities in 2020 – Kolkata and Gurgaon.
Bioscience and Pre-Medical Summer School 2020
Details of the Summer School Program
Why attend this Summer School (Pre-College) Program:
- You will experience all the everyday learning prospects and possibilities, which will equip you well to make better career choices.
- You get a chance to explore your interests before you decide to take it up as a career.
- You will get hands-on experience and develop new skills that a classroom doesn’t offer and get a taste of exciting college life.
- This is the first of its kind summer program that’s focused on biological sciences and medicine.
- The summer program is developed and delivered by SHRM Biotechnologies, a Govt. recognized and Award-winning Training Company that provides training to Undergraduate and Postgraduate Students, in association with Stoodnt, Inc., a Silicon-Valley based Career & College Admission Guidance EdTech Startup.
- Summer school students gain a number of skills that can benefit them when they apply to top colleges or get called for college admissions interviews.
Who can attend:
High School Students in Grade 8, 9, 10, 11 & 12
Kolkata and Gurgaon
Theory and Practicals will cover the following topics:
- DNA, RNA and rDNA technology
- Cell biology
- Medical Microbiology and Public Health
- Plant Sciences
The summer program will give the students a holistic idea about the subjects, career paths, and job opportunities within the field of biosciences, public health, and medicine. They will get a feel of what they can expect while studying Biotechnology, MBBS, BDS, or Biomedical Sciences after Class 12. This will help them to get some clarity about the career paths after 12th.
Secondly, be it Medicine (MBBS or BDS) or Biotechnology & Life Sciences – they are very practical oriented. Hence, this summer school will be a great opportunity to gain hands-on exposure.
Students will learn:
- Advanced biological techniques.
- Introduction to Medical Research
- How to take care of our health.
- Hands-on practicals and latest training.
- How to achieve success in future life including college admissions after Class 12.
Tentative Dates: May last week (Kolkata) and June first week (Gurgaon)
Timing: 10:30 am to 2 pm on the first 4 days and 10:30 am to 3 pm on the 5th day
Detailed Schedule and Program Structure:
Day 1: DNA extraction of Strawberry
Day 2: Food Contamination
Day 3: RBC Detection & Blood Pressure Measurement and Gender Probability Studies
Day 4: Alkalinity and pH of Personal Care Product
Day 5: PCR Amplification and Detection of Oral Microflora (followed by award ceremony)
Faculty Members and Trainers:
- Mayukh Bose, Senior Research Scientist and Project Coordinator at SHRM Biotechnologies Pvt.Ltd.
- Pallavi Mitra, Training co-ordinator, SHRM Biotechnologies Pvt Ltd, Kolkata
- Tanmoy Ray, Career Adviser & Admission Counselor at Stoodnt; Former Biomedical Scientist at University of Oxford (UK), University Medical Centre Utrecht (Netherlands), and University of New South Wales (Australia)
- Ajay Singh, Founder & CEO, Stoodnt, Inc., MS (University of Texas at Austin), MBA (Harvard University)
- Tanima Roy Chowdhury, Co-founder and Career Counselor, Catalyst Advisory Services
- Trina Dasgupta, Co-founder and Career Counselor, Catalyst Advisory Services
- Kunal Vora, Founder & CEO, SHRM Biotechnologies Pvt. Ltd., Mentor and Summer Program Director
Early-Bird Fees: INR 5,000 (Kolkata) / INR 12,000 (Gurgaon) [plus 18% GST]
* SHRM Biotechnologies is a Kolkata-based company. The cost of the Gurgaon event has been kept higher to cover the logistics costs.
Add-on Sessions and Workshop:
- Psychometric Test and Career Guidance
- Session on College Admission Guidance in India and Abroad by Team Stoodnt (for Grade 10, 11 & 12 Students)
The summer school batch of 2019 had got a capacity of 30 students (across all grades).
In 2020, we will have the capacity to take 40 students in Kolkata and 40 students in Gurgaon. So, interested students (or parents) are requested to fill up the Registration Form.
We only will contact the families who filled out the registration form for payment, enrollment, and the next steps.
Last Date for Early-Bird Registration: Dec 31, 2019
Awards for Best Participating Students:
- Young Scientist Award (One Award)
- Junior Doctor Award (One Award)
- Training Certificates for All Participants
Note: This is a non-residential summer program. So, students from outside Kolkata/Gurgaon (or adjacent areas) need to arrange their own accommodation. If you are interested and need assistance, please feel free to reach out to us by filling out the registration form (at the end of the article).
Why Biology and Medical Science?
As we try to understand Life and its different processes, we get to know the complex mechanisms that support our existence. Biology deals with the basics such as tracking of ancestry, general features of plants and animals to more advanced fields as of synthetic drug production, studying and altering genetics, providing upgraded prosthetics and implants. Simple understandings of biology have changed our lives deeply, be it prevention of diseases, breaking of superstitions/misconceptions, better healthcare facilities for infants and expected mothers or senior citizens, development of quality medicines and many more.
Why attend the Bioscience and Pre-Medical Summer Program?
Benefits of summer program-
- Learning theoretical and practical aspects of advanced biology, medicine, and public health
- Development of practical skills on laboratory techniques
- Gaining knowledge about hot topics in biology and medicine
- Talks on Motivation and Career Roadmap development by Doctors, Researchers, and Scientists
- Career and College Admission Guidance for Biotechnology, Medicine (MBBS, BDS) and Life Sciences in India and Abroad
About SHRM Biotechnologies Pvt Ltd.
SHRM Biotechnologies Pvt Ltd. is a nationally awarded educational training & skill development provider in Biotechnology and Life Sciences. The organization obtained honorary accreditation from LSSSDC under the ambit skill development council, Govt. of India.
Since its establishment in 2006, SHRM has trained more than 6,000 undergraduate students from various institutes like IIT, NIT, SRM, VIT, Amity, and many others. We have trained students of B.Sc / M.Sc / B.Tech /Ph.D. from more than 100+ universities/colleges across the country and internationally.
SHRM was awarded the Best Biotech Training Provider in Eastern India in 2018. The award was given by Mr. Parshottam Khodabhai Rupala, Union Minister of State for Panchayati Raj, Agriculture and Farmers Welfare. It also won The Excellence in Training Award in 2017 by Hon’ble Governors Dr. S. C. Jamir – Governor of Odisha and Shri. Tathagata Roy – Governor of Tripura.
How to Apply and Enrol for the Bioscience and Pre-Medical Summer School Program?
Please fill out the registration form below.
If you want to share this form or want to fill out the registration form later, here is the link for the Registration Form (you need to sign in to your Gmail account to fill out the form). The last date for the early-bird registration is Dec 31, 2019.
Once you submit the completed registration form, we will get back to you regarding the application process, payment, and details about the enrolment procedure.
Why is regenerative medicine creating so much noise? Why are the research fields of stem cell biology, tissue engineering, biomaterials and regenerative medicine attracting so…Read More
By Debasish Dutta, Managing Partner & CEO, Orange Corp, Global Talent has always been in demand. But the new age has seen the…Read More
January is an interesting time in the college application cycle. Students graduating from high school in June have already sent off their applications and sit…Read More