Electrical-Electronics Engineering: Career Path, Courses, Top MS Specializations and Jobs
The field of electrical and electronics engineering is pretty exciting and one of the popular career paths after 12th PCM. In this post, we will first look at Electrical Engineering (EE) vs Electronics & Communication Engineering (ECE) and how to decide the right stream after 12th. Additionally, we will go through the top MS specializations in Electrical-Electronics Engineering and post-MS job prospects.
Career Path, Courses, Top MS Specializations and Job Prospects
By Prasad Jeedi
Electrical Engineering (EE) vs Electronics & Communication Engineering (ECE)
Electrical engineering deals with the study of production, transmission, distribution of electricity, and also the pieces of equipment that are used In these processes.
The main intention of the electrical engineering field is to provide high-quality power with less cost.
If you are fascinated with the principles of electricity and its real-world applications, then electrical engineering (EE) is an appropriate subject for you. The subject pertains to electricity and its transmission from one point to the other.
EE is the study and application of electrical systems for use in different environments and contains basic electronic courses and power systems.
However, if your interests lie in electronic devices, circuits, and various types of communication equipment, then Electronics and Communication Engineering (ECE) is something you must pursue. Electronics deals with electronic devices and Communication deals with networking, mobile and wireless communication, analog and digital communication, etc.
Electronics deal with the application of electricity. Mainly processors, controllers, etc these things uses electricity and makes our life comfortable.
Electronics and communication engineering ,same it works with applications of electricity, but the main focus is on effective transmission of information through various modes of communication.
The intention of studying electronics & communication engineering is to provide easy and effective communication.
ECE uses the scientific knowledge of the behavior and effects of electrons to develop devices, systems, or equipment that uses electricity as part of its driving force. Also, it contains basics on electrical machines and more on integrated circuits and communication systems.
Electrical Engineering is a field with a focus on electricity generation and transmission. It is considered as macro-level engineering.
ECE does not deal with electricity generation and transmission. Electronics is more to do with the movement of electrons than anything else.
EE vs ECE: Which One is Right for You after 12th?
So, how do you make this choice? This choice can be dependent on two aspects: a) subjects you like or are good at currently b) scope and job prospects.
Major Subjects in Electrical Engineering:
- Math Fundamentals
Major Subjects in Electronics & Communication Engineering:
- Computer Science
EE vs ECE – Courses and Core Areas:
EEE: Electrical and Electronics Engineering branch deals with Electrical technology and machines, circuit analysis, electronics, electromagnetism, electrical engineering materials, instrumentation, control systems, power engineering and transmission and distribution.
The core areas that will be dealt with, under the electrical engineering programmes include:
- Elements of Electrical Engineering
- DC Machines and Transformers
- Utilization of Electrical Power
- Analysis of Electrical Power Systems
- Fundamentals of Electrical Engineering
ECE: This branch mainly deals with analog transmission, basic electronics, solid-state devices, microprocessors, digital and analog communication, analog integrated circuits, satellite communication, microwave engineering, antennae, and wave progression. It also deals with the manufacturing of electronic devices, circuits, and communications equipment.
The core areas that are taught to the students pursuing electronics and communication engineering include the following:
- Basic Module of Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Electronic Instrumentation
- Information Theory and Coding
- Microprocessors and Microelectronics
- Computer Communication Networks
- Wireless Communication
EE vs ECE – Typical Recruiters:
Typical EE recruiters include Crompton Greaves, Siemens, Bajaj Electricals, TATA Motors, BHEL, BSNL, Hindustan Motors, Jay Balaji Steel, Bhushan Steel, OMEGA Elevator, Samsung, Hitachi, Reliance, I&T, Jindal Steel & Power, etc.
Core electronics engineering companies include Havells, Bajaj Electronics, Bharat Electronics (BEL), HAIL, Midas, 3M, Philips, Exide Batteries, Samtel, Sterlite Technologies, etc. However, ECE graduates are also absorbed by IT companies like HCL, Accenture, TCS, Cognizant, Tech Mahindra, Wipro, etc.
Top Electrical-Electronics Specializations at the Masters (MS) Level and Job Prospects
Some of the popular electrical-electronics specializations at the graduate (MS) level are Embedded Systems, VLSI, Microcontrollers, Robotics, Mechatronics, and Computational Intelligence & Automation. Let us explore them one by one.
- DEFINITION: An embedded system is a combination of computer hardware and software designed for a particular function or a set of functions; it is likely that, soon every technical device will exist having software-based embedded information technology, based on standardised micro-controller cores
- STUDY: You will study concepts such as embedded computing, embedded control, signals processing, communication technologies, to name a few
- SCOPE: It is an in-demand field in all aspects of engineering; it has found application in telecommunications, defence instruments, railroad networks, consumer electronics, smart cards industries; you will get an opportunity to deal with some of the most advanced and complicated technologies while working on systems to bring about a world-wide revolution
VLSI (Very Large Scale Integration)
- DEFINITION: This discipline is pertaining to the design and verification of integrated circuits
- STUDY: You will study concepts such as digital systems design, system verification, mathematical foundations for systems design, to name a few.
- SCOPE: Its applications are found in areas like signal processing, image processing, networks, and communication applications; currently, there is a healthy demand of VLSI Engineers
- DEFINITION: It is a small computer contained on a single metal oxide semiconductor integrated circuit chip
- STUDY: The study will help you understand the internal working of the microcontroller and its peripherals, how to develop software drivers from scratch by obtaining maximum information from datasheets, reference manuals, specs, etc
- SCOPE: The demand is high and the competition is tougher
- DEFINITION: The aim of robotics is to produce intelligent machines that can perform some tasks of humans in everyday life. As a field, it is connected with the design, development, testing, and use of robots
- STUDY: Contexts and environments in which robots are created, foundations of robotics, robot dynamics, robotics engineering, etc.
- SCOPE: A specialization in robotics will educate you to function in multiple domains like medical, military, automotive, agriculture, manufacturing, etc. Its demand will never ever go down
- DEFINITION: Mechatronics is an interdisciplinary area of engineering that combines mechanical and electrical engineering and computer science; it is also called mechatronic engineering
- STUDY: Basic principles of electrical, mechanical and computer engineering, engineering analysis, and design, engineering mechanics, electrical hardware, computer software, etc.
- SCOPE: There is a need for mechatronic engineers in the product development, manufacturing, mining, aerospace and defense industries
Computational Intelligence & Automation
- DEFINITION: Computational Intelligence encompasses the ability of a computer system to perform a specific task based on the instructions programmed or from a set of data. Automation is related to the use of various equipment with zero or minimal human intervention
- STUDY: The study of this subject will include the theoretical foundations of computer science, advanced topics related to computing/IT, the design and development of software systems, etc.
- SCOPE: Computational Intelligence and Artificial Intelligence are some of the fastest-growing and most exciting fields in technology today! Knowledge of Deep Learning and Machine Learning has a high market demand
Other Popular MS Specializations & MS Programs for EE and ECE Graduates
- Biomedical Engineering / Bioengineering
- Renewable Energy & Sustainable Systems Engineering
- Computer Science – Software, Cybersecurity, Cloud Computing, MIS
- Data Science, ML/AI
- Data & Business Analytics
- Aerospace Engineering
- Remote Sensing and Space Science
- MEM, MiM & MBA
Alternative Career Options for MS Electrical-Electronics Graduates
Given the current job market scenario and the nature of core electrical-electronics sector, it’s wise to be aware of the back options post-MS.
There are multiple opportunities available abroad for the above fields and specializations. However, it is a good idea to keep back up options ready, say when you return to India. So, what are the alternative options for MS in EE-ECE graduates?
Career Options in India after MS in Electrical-Electronics Engineering Abroad
You could carve out a career in any of the following sectors:
- Materials and Metals
- Power Generation
- Oil and Gas
Here are a few names (of companies) that regularly recruit electrical engineers.
- Larsen & Toubro (L&T)
- Siemens India
- Bharat Heavy Electrical’s Limited (BHEL)
- Electronics Corporation of India Limited (ECIL)
- LG Electronics
- Samsung Electronics
- Coal India Limited
- Defense Research and Development Organisation (DRDO)
- Gas Authority of India Limited
- Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited
- Indian Railways
- National Thermal Power Corporation Limited
- Aerospace Manufacturing
- Armed Forces (Army/ Air Force/Navy)
- Consumer Electronics Manufacturing
- Healthcare Tools Manufacturing
Electrical and Electronics Engineering Salaries in India and Abroad
Entry-Level Salaries in Various Countries:
- India: INR 3.5 Lacs – 8 Lacs
- USA: USD $79,000 – $99,000
- UK: £26,000 – £34,000
- Canada: CAD $60,000 – 85,000
- Australia: AUD $80,000 – $140,000
- New Zealand: NZD $55,000 – $61,781
Prasad has been working in the overseas education industry for the last 12 years; he holds the distinction of servicing 700+ students to the USA for various programs. His accurate shortlisting skills and student-centric approach have been integral parts of his successful journey.
Prasad has guided students to top universities such as Columbia University, UIUC, National University of Singapore, University of British Columbia, University of Southern California, Indian School of Business, Purdue University, York University (Schulich), University of Washington, University of California-Davis, etc. Enabling students to fulfill their career aspirations is Prasad’s lifelong passion.
What we have shared till now is just the tip of the iceberg! Want to know more? What are you waiting for? Book a session with one of our expert advisors and speak from the comfort of your home!
Featured Image Source: Interesting Engineering
Author: Manya Education Group
Manya Education, the largest partner of The Princeton Review (TPR) globally, offers end-to-end guidance and solutions for all the overseas education requirements.
Founded in 1981, The Princeton Review is headquartered in New York, is a part of ST Unitas, a global education company; and has grown to become one of the leading companies in EduTech.
Technology is contributing in revolutionising HR practices The ongoing digital revolution has led to several technological implementations in organisations across the globe. This…Read More
By Shubika Bilkha Did your heart do a quick leap for joy when the Placement Officer at your College said that you’ve been shortlisted for…Read More
Japan’s Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI), today granted a certificate of accreditation to Maruti Suzuki’s upcoming Japan-India Institute for Manufacturing(JIM) in UnchaMajra,…Read More