Graphic Designing Careers and Jobs
In the last few years, the rise of visual and digital content has sparked a huge demand for graphic designers. According to experts, the demand for good graphic designers will grow exponentially. In this post, we will talk about the graphic design career path, required training & skills, salaries, top colleges & courses, and future scopes.
Do You love Art? Are you a Creative thinker with Artistic mind? Then it’ll be like a Cakewalk for you to build a career as a Graphic Designer!
What is Graphic Designing?
Graphic Design is a Profession or art of planning and projecting ideas which communicate certain ideas or messages through visuals. These visuals can be a simple business logo or a complex web page of web design. It is also defined as Communication Design or Visual Communication. It helps the Company/individual connect with the client by conveying the message of the project, product, campaign or event.
Scope of Graphic Designing Careers
The world is becoming more digital day by day. A Good Visually Created Ad can convey a volume of ideas that can never be expressed with words.
- With the help of logos, brochure company branding can be done
- Hoarding, Flex can help to transmit company message to clients clearly
As a skill, Graphic Design can also help other professionals in their career growth
- In IT firms Developers can Design Web page/mobile app mockups to get Client Approval before proceeding to code part.
- Graphics Designing can help Marketing Professional to present ideas visually in their presentation. Also, It will help them to fetch new ideas.
Graphic designing allows flexible work Environment. Students/working professionals can also work as a part-time or as a freelance basis. There are Few freelance websites (Freelancer, Upwork, Fiverr, 99design, etc) which help graphic designers to make money online.
Graphic Designing Careers and Jobs
There is a Huge number of Job Opening are there for Fresher to Experienced working Professionals in Startups to Big MNC Companies. You can check Graphic Designer Jobs by simply searching in Google or any Job consulting Websites like Naukri, shine, Glassdoor, Indeed, etc.
Below are the Basic and Key Job roles In Graphic Design Industry:
- Multimedia Designer
- Web Designer
- Logo Designer
- Brand Identity Designer
- Flash Designer
- Creative/Art Director
- Photo Editing/Photoshop Artist
- Layout Artist
- Product Designer
Required Skills for a Career in Graphic Designing
Below are the Basic Required skills that a Graphic Designer must have:
- Innovative and Creative thinking to produce new ideas and develop interactive designs
- Problem Solving Ability, Out of Box Thinking Capability
- Basic knowledge of Design software like Photoshop, Illustrator, Corel Draw, Indesign, After effects
- Communication Skills, Ability to meet the Client requirements
Graphic Design Salaries
As mentioned Earlier, If you are a Graphic Designer you can Work as a Full-time Employee or you can work as a Freelancer/Part time
For Full-time Working Professionals: In India annually: Average (145k), Median (301k), Highest(614k) – source: Glassdoor
For Freelancers/Part-time workers: In this Case, how much they earn will Depend on Individuals Experience and Quality of work. In India, Estimated Average Earnings are up to 433k annually. – source: Glassdoor
Required Training and Education in Graphic Designing
There are Both Short term and Long term courses are available. You can Pursue:
Certificate and Diploma Courses:
- Advance Diploma in Graphic Design
- Certificate in Graphic Design
- Graduate Diploma Program in Graphic Design
- Post Graduate Diploma Program in Graphic Design
- Bachelors of design in Graphic Design
- Bachelors of Graphic Design
- Bachelors of Arts in Graphic Design
- Masters of Arts in Graphic Design
- Masters of Design in Graphic Design
- For admission in Under Graduation courses, you must have cleared at least 12th or higher secondary education from any recognized board.
- For admission in Post Graduation courses, you must have a Bachelors Degree in the related Equivalent Stream from any recognized board.
Where to Study Graphic Design?
You can Pursue Designing Courses through Offline by joining Descent College/universities or through Enrolling to some Online Courses.
Top Colleges to Study Graphic Design in India
- National Institute of Design, New Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kanpur
- Industrial Design Centre (IIT Bombay)
- Symbiosis Institute of Design, Pune
- Wigan and Leigh College (WLCI), New Delhi
- World University of Design, Sonipat
Top Universities for Graphic Design Abroad
- Rhode Island School of Design
- Parsons School of Design at the New School
- Yale University
- Maryland Institute College of Art
- California Institute of Arts
- Carnegie Mellon University
- School of Visual Arts, New York
- Cranbrook Academy of Art, Michigan
- Pratt Institute, Brooklyn,
- Savannah College of Art and Design
- Virginia Commonwealth University
- School of the Art Institute Chicago
- Rochester Institute of Technology
- Boston University
- University of Illinois at Chicago
- University of Cincinnati
- Newcastle University
- University of Oxford
- University College London
- Loughborough University
- Goldsmiths University of London
- University of Leeds
- Royal College of Art
- University of the Arts London
- Brunel University London
- Glasgow School of Art
- University of British Columbia [Canada]
- University of Toronto [Canada]
- Universidad Complutense de Madrid (UCM) [Spain]
- Universitat de Barcelona (UB) [Spain]
- KU Leuven [Belgium]
- University of Applied Arts Vienna [Belgium]
- University of Lisbon [Portugual]
- ENSCI Les Ateliers [France]
- Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne [France]
- Oslo National Academy of the Arts [Norway]
- RMIT University [Australia]
- University of Melbourne [Australia]
- University of Technology, Sydney (UTS) [Australia]
- University of New South Wales (UNSW) [Australia]
- Auckland University of Technology [New Zealand]
- Massey University [New Zealand]
- University of Auckland [New Zealand]
Top Websites for taking Online Courses:
Top Online Courses on Graphic Design
**Nowadays Students/working Professionals in India are Enrolling to Online Courses. The reason is being these courses are cost Efficient, They Provide Study Materials (Video), one can watch & learn according to their Timings
Future Scope of Graphic Design
The Demand for Graphic Designers in India is Increasing Day by Day. As plenty of new Startups are coming, they will require Logos, websites and other design materials so eventually, it will create more no of job roles in Graphic Designing Industry. Not only as Employee in a company in India, but also as a Graphics Designer you can earn a lot as a Freelancer.
Author: Rao Purna
I’m a Graduate, Currently working with Stoodnt as Marketing & Customer Support Executive. I’m into Marketing, Business Development, Brand Management, Digital Marketing, and Graphic Designing. My hobbies are Reading books, Listening to music, Surfing the internet and Writing articles.
Interesting article in Inc magazine by Gordon Tredgold: Just because you’re smart doesn’t mean that you’re not going to make dumb mistakes, mistakes that can hamper…Read More
The Graduate Record Examination or GRE is a state-administered test taken by students who need to apply to graduate school. The exam has been developed…Read More
Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence (AI) trends in 2019 proved that 2019 was an essential year for both AI and ML, as both ML and…Read More