Click Here » Summer Program
Last Updated on December 27, 2021
Biotechnology and Biosciences (Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Genetics, Bioinformatics, etc.) sound very exciting for high school students. But, the difference between the high school curriculum and the college curriculum is pretty wide.
Additionally, Bio-Sciences & Biotechnology are pretty research-oriented career paths. Hence, it’s only wise to learn the basic concepts and explore college-level molecular biology, biochemistry, microbiology before entering college. Evaluate courses after 12th and career options to make a well-informed decision by attending a Bootcamp or summer program.
Online Winter Program on Biotech & Bioinformatics 2021 – 2022
By SHRM Biotechnologies and Stoodnt, Inc.
Who Can Attend the Program?
This program has been tailored for the bioscience students of Classes 8 – 12. This is the most crucial growth period in terms of technical knowledge that makes a difference to the student’s career as well as to the scientific community.
Students in other grades who have a deep interest in Biosciences, Biotech, Computer Science, Coding, Biology along with some advanced exposure (ICT, Coding, etc.) are also welcome.
Course Curriculum and Schedule
Day 1: Introduction to Molecular Biology, Omics (Genomics & Proteomics), and Bioinformatics
- Students will learn the advanced theoretical concepts of Genes, Genomics, DNA, RNA, Protein, and Bioinformatics Tools.
- Basic theory of Nucleotide, Protein & Drug Database hovering and Data searching
- Practical: DNA Isolation Experiment (hands-on) – we will teach you how to perform this at home
Day 2: Evolution of the Novel Coronavirus with BLAST software
Learn how the novel Coronavirus has possibly evolved with the help of the interesting BLAST software. It allows you to see the similarity between different species. It is awesome how a simple computer program can give vivid information about the origin of a virus!
Day 3: Drug Discovery and Computer-Aided Drug Design
Appeal to your inner hidden scientist and learn how to develop drugs against COVID-19 from scratch. Discover today and lead tomorrow.
CADD, or Computer-based drug designing, is the coolest tool out there, used by scientists across the world for the purpose of designing drugs. Why don’t you learn the tricks this winter?
Day 4: Biochemistry and Food Biotechnology
- Introduction to Biochemistry and Food Science
- Practical: Soap-Preparation / Determining Milk Alkalinity / Food Biotechnology
Day 5: Microbiology and Diagnostics
- What are the tests done for COVID detection?
- RT PCR, ELISA, temperature and symptoms screening
- Schematic diagram of RT PCR or ELISA or plasma therapy
- Practical: PCR Techniques
Day 6: Forensic Biotechnology
- Basics of Forensic Biotechnology
- Practical: Fingerprint Analysis
Day 7: Career and College Admissions (India & Abroad)
- Guidance on Subjects and Courses
- Career Paths in Biotechnology & Bioinformatics after Class 12
- Profile Building for College Admissions
- College Application Essays
Quiz, Assignments, and Participating Certificate
The program will also involve thoughtful assignments and case studies for the students so that they make the most of it.
Certificates will be provided to the students (by SHRM Biotechnologies and Stoodnt) only on the successful completion of the program, assignments, and case studies.
- 1st Batch: Dec 27 – Jan 8 (total 14 hours) — Registration Closed
- 2nd Batch: Jan 17 – Jan 30 (total 14 hours) — Open
Max 20 students per batch!
Fees & Scholarship
- Program Fees: Rs. 11,800 / $160 (all inclusive)
- Two 50% & Two 25% Scholarships per batch (those who want to get considered for the scholarship must fill out the 3 optional questions on the application form).
- Scholarship Deadline: Jan 11, 2022 [2nd Batch]
Faculty Members and Trainers
- Dr. Deborshi De, AVP, SHRM Biotechnologies Pvt. Ltd. (Ex Colorado Technical University, MIT, Presidency University)
- Dr. Nilanjan Banerjee, Senior Research Fellow, Bose Institute
- Tanmoy Ray, Stoodnt, Inc. (Ex Oxford, Utrecht University, UNSW, Aston University, WBUT)
- Priyamvada Agarwal, Career & College Admission Counselor and Test-Prep Trainer (Ex Cambridge)
How to Apply?
Please fill out this registration form (Google Form) or the form below! After you fill submit the application form, our team will reach out to you to advise you on the payment process.
FAQs on Winter Bootcamp on Biotechnology & Bioinformatics
Feedback from Previous Students
Our Online Pre-College Program on Biotechnology/Biomedical and Online Summer Program on Bioinformatics were pretty successful this summer. Hence, we have decided to launch the winter bootcamp version.
Video Feedback from Summer 2021 Cohort
Why should High School Students attend Summer / Winter Bootcamps?
In today’s competitive world of academics, the benefits of attending a summer school program are abundant for young and aspiring students.
There are so many social, cultural, and academic benefits, which are more far-reaching than one can expect from a normal course of study.
Summer and winter programs have become very popular among curious and ambitious high school students.
How is Online Pre-College Bootcamp Going to Help?
The concept of such a summer/winter program is like crash course programs from experts of their respective fields of specialization which can immensely help the students with their varied experience and knowledge.
This in return helps students to focus and prepare for their respective careers. The interaction with the students and faculty members helps in developing communication, presentation, and leadership skills.
The best parts about these programs are students can go beyond their syllabus and grasp knowledge that they can endure for a lifetime. It provides fantastic exposure to academia and industry as the experts share their life experiences, which come really handy for the students.
Finally, it’s online. Right now, that’s the best possible option.
Have Queries or Concerns?
Please fill out the form to Get a Call Back
Why Attend Biotechnology & Bioinformatics Bootcamp?
The field of Biology is very exciting, extremely dynamic, and ever-emerging. Though disciplines like biotechnology and biomedical engineering have been getting a lot of interest, the career scopes of biology after 12th remain largely esoteric and unexplored.
Too Many Career Options in Biology
There are many exciting career options in Biology. Some of the popular ones are as follows:
- MBBS / BDS
- Biotechnology / Specializations in Biological Sciences (e.g. Microbiology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Genetics, Bioinformatics etc.)
- General Courses (e.g. BSc Botany, Zoology, Biology, etc.)
- B.Pharm and other Allied Health Sciences
- Food Science and Agriculture
- Forensic Science
- Emerging Options – Virology, Bioinformatics, Marine Biology, Astrobiology, etc.
Exploring College-Level Biology and Evaluating Career Options Early is Beneficial for Long-Term Career
There are many kids who enjoy Biology. But, they are not always sure of which career path to take. Be it MBBS, Forensic Science, or Biotechnology – nothing is easy.
The choice of a subject may define your career and your life thereof. From a wide range of study and career options in the biotechnology and bio-sciences domain, you need to identify your core strengths and choose an avenue you are confident of.
Read Key Things to Know Before Starting a Career in Medicine and Common Problems Faced By Biotechnology Students in India. So, it’s only wise to evaluate all the options, and then taking a well-informed decision.
Improve Your College Admission Chances
Below is an excerpt of an essay by one of the attendees of the 2019 cohort who got into UC Berkeley, UBC & Toronto:
Why Bioinformatics for High School Students?
Biology in the 21st century is expanding from a purely laboratory-based science to an information-aided one.
Recent developments in both molecular biology and information technology have made biological data much more readily available to scientists and to educational institutions, and this growing amount of data has created an “absolute requirement” for the use of computers to organize, analyze, and process such information. Know more about the scopes and applications of bioinformatics in medicine and biotechnology.
Advantages of Exposure to Bioinformatics in High School
Bioinformatics is used to understand and treat genetic conditions, discern evolutionary relationships, and learn about how diseased cells and/or proteins (e.g. cancer cells) differ from normal cells and/or proteins.
According to the NCBI, “the ultimate goal of the field [bioinformatics] is to enable the discovery of new biological insights as well as to create a global perspective from which unifying principles in biology can be discerned”.
With bioinformatics it is possible the identification of disease-associated genes; identify genes and genetic markers; predict three-dimensional structures of protein and organisms evolution; design new drugs; data sharing.
Bioinformatics has been taught at the undergraduate and graduate levels since the 2000s. But, the efforts of introducing high school students to bioinformatics started only in 2012 – 2013.
Wish to Attend the Bootcamp?
Please fill out the form to Get a Call Back