Last Updated on November 29, 2022
South Korea is the world’s most dynamic and culturally vibrant country and is a sought-after study destination for Indian students. This country offers innumerable courses at master’s and doctoral levels in English and the Korean language. Of late, Korea is becoming a popular study destination for Indian students. There is scope for fee waivers, scholarships, and other opportunities for international students to encourage cultural exchange. So, if you are planning to embrace and experience Korean culture and experience. In this blog, we have aggregated a list of scholarships for South Korea to impress you.
The country is financially stable and the cost of living here is cheaper. What attracts enrollees from across the globe is South Korean food and culture. Hence, you can enjoy your studies in South Korea with the help of top Korean scholarship programs for international students. Moreover, you can even obtain a degree free of cost!
Can International Students Receive Scholarships to Study in South Korea?
As colleges in Korea welcome diversity and additional numbers to join them. Many international applicants receive scholarships and financial aid when studying abroad in South Korea. International students can apply for scholarships offered by Korean institutions and by the Korean government.
How Can International Students Receive Full Scholarship in Korea?
To receive a full scholarship while studying in Korea, your best option is to apply for Global Korea Scholarship, a prestigious award offered by the Korean government and awarded only to top applicants. The GKS Scholarship covers your tuition fees, airplane tickets, resettlement allowance, health insurance, stipend for Korean language courses, and much more.
Eligibility Criteria for the Korean Government Scholarship
- Must be a citizen of the country offering the scholarship, which includes the applicants’ parents.
- As of March 1st of the invitation year, you must have graduated or be slated to graduate from high school.
- Must have a cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of at least 8.75 or 80 percent (out of 100 percent) or be in the top 20% (out of 100 %) of your cohort (high school or college)
- Must be enrolled in a graduate program or doctoral program in the country
- Both the applicant and his or her parents must be nationals of another country.
- Applicants who are citizens of Korea are not eligible to apply for this program.
- The Applicants must be under the age of 40 on September 1st, 2013. (born after Sep. 1st, 1973).
- All Applicants must have a grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.64 on a 4.0 scale, 2.80 on a 4.3 scale, 2.91 on a 4.5 scale, or 80 % or better grades/marks/scores from their prior institution. The candidate will be disqualified to apply to this program if he or she does not meet the aforesaid GPA standards.
- A total of 170 people will be awarded under the Korean government’s scholarship program (undergraduate course) and 700 people will be given scholarships for graduate courses.
Top Scholarships to Study in South Korea for International Students
|Global Korea Scholarship (GKS)||Bachelor, Master, and Doctoral Degrees for Select Korean||KRW 100,000 (USD $80)|
|Seoul National University (SNU) President Fellowship||Ph.D. students||KRW 1,500,000 (USD $1,220)|
|Yonsei University Underwood International College (UIC) Admissions Scholarship||Yonsei UIC Undergraduate Degrees (16 Majors in 5 Divisions)||Full Tuition for 4 Years|
|Korea University Scholarships for International Students||Bachelor Degree||Partial to Full Tuition Coverage for 4 Years|
|Ewha Global Partnership Program (EGPP)||Bachelor, Master, and Doctoral Programs at Ewha Woman’s University (EWU)||Semestral fees for undergraduate studies start around $3,000 while graduate fees cost about $5,000.|
|Kyungpook National University International Graduate Scholarship (KINGS)||Master, Doctoral Programs at Kyungpook National University||Full Tuition Coverage for the Entire Graduate Program|
|Posco Tj Park Scholarship For Asian Students Studying In Korea||Master’s and Doctoral degrees||Full tuition for 4 semesters|
|Changwon National University (CWNU) Graduate School Full-Time Research Scholarship||A Master’s or Doctoral degree from CWNU is required.||Full tuition subsidy for four semesters|
|Samsung Global Hope Scholarship Program||Bachelor’s Degrees, Master’s Degrees, and Doctoral Programs at Partner Universities with Samsung||Full Tuition fee for Entire Academic Program|
How to Apply for Scholarships to Study in South Korea?
- Research the potential scholarships for Indian students to study in South Korea
- Make a list of probable universities that would be a good fit for you
- Check the application process and selection criteria for each university
- Consider the difficulty of admittance, as well as the safety, match, and reach schools for your scores
- Organize your documents (e.g. Transcripts, Essays, Recommendation Letters, etc.) according to the applicable requirements
- Submit your scholarship application via email or online
Step-by-Step Application Process for Korean Government Scholarship through MHRD, Govt. of India
- Visit the Sakshat portal of MHRD
- Select ‘Korean Government Scholarship Program’ and click on the apply button
- Fill out the application form with accurate details
- Attach all supporting documents
- Submit the online application
- After that, download an application from the official website of the Korean government regarding the same
- Fill in the details and attach supporting documents
- Now, the application form has to be sent to the following address: West Block — 1, 2nd Floor, Wing — 6, R.K. Puram, New Delhi — 110066
Addressing – The Under Secretary (Scholarship), Ministry of Human Resource Development, Department of Higher Education
Required Documents to Apply for Scholarships to Study in South Korea
- Letter of Intent
- A study plan along with a personal statement
- 2 letters of recommendation from different approvers
- Duly signed scholarship agreement
- Transcript and certificate of Bachelor’s degree
- Certificate and transcript of Master’s degree for applicants enrolling in doctoral programs
- Copy of Applicant’s Passport
- Applicant’s Nationality proof documents
- Copies of Parents’ Passport
- Parents’ Nationality proof documents
- Document indicating a relationship between applicants and their parents