Study in the Canada

Canada launched an international education strategy in 2014 that aims to increase the number of international students in Canada to 450,000 by 2022.

Canada’s high academic standards and superior quality controls means that you'll be earning a high quality education that will open doors for your future and benefit your career over the long term. A Canadian degree, diploma or certificate is globally recognized as being equivalent to those obtained from the United States or Commonwealth countries. Canada is a bilingual country with two official languages, English and French. English is the main working language (except in Quebec).

Canada’s 125 public and private nonprofit universities offer more than 15,000 undergraduate and post-graduate programs, as well as professional designations, certificate and diploma courses, and short career-focused programs. Canadian institutions, known for their cutting-edge technology and research labs, provide opportunities for cooperative education, known as co-ops, and internships. Many of the well-known universities in Canada are located in large metropolitan areas, but there are many excellent universities that do not have urban campuses and are similar to US liberal arts colleges.

Study in the Canada

Good to Know

A degree from a Canadian university can typically be completed in four years and is considered equivalent to an American qualification. A Canadian degree can lead to work opportunities in Canada, the US, and around the world.

Co-op experiences are a hallmark of many Canadian degree programs.Co-ops involve alternating periods of academic study with periods of work. Through 59 Canadian universities, polytechnics, and colleges, more than 1,000 co-op programs are offered in fields as diverse as business, government, and social services. In many arrangements, students are paid for their work. Upon completion, a student can expect to receive a university degree/polytechnic diploma and have gained a year or more of work experience in their field of study. It is important to note, however,that co-op

Australia's Educational Services for Overseas Student (ESOS) Act is designed to protect and promote the rights of international students on student visas. For example, institutions are required by law to provide access to orientation and support services, and accurate and timely information about fees and study options. Many free services are available to all students on all campuses, including academic guidance, skills and career advice, employment search support, and assistance to students with disabilities.

The term course generally refers to a program of study. Only rarely can students enroll at an Australian university with an undecided program of study, though options are available for students who want to change their course after enrolling. International students who want to change majors are urged to check with immigration officials to ensure they follow the correct procedure.

My decision to earn my degree abroad was partially a matter of cost, and partially wanting to discover what else was out there. I was very grateful for the amount of diversity present in Montreal. [And, there are] many inexpensive ways to be a student in Montreal—rent is cheap, food is reasonable, health care is free. There’s a lot to love.

Sophia Metcalf, New Jersey

(McGill University,third year student)

Sophia Metcalf

Academic Calendar

Most universities and colleges run from early September until the end of April or early May, but there is no national standard. The academic year is typically split into two terms running September to December and January to April. Some universities utilize a trimester system, providing full courses in the summer.








2nd Sem. Begins


2nd Sem. Ends


1st Sem. Begins


1st Sem. Ends

Students planning to enroll in the first (fall) semester are encouraged to apply in the fall or winter of the previous year. Students planning to enroll in the second (spring) semester are encouraged to apply several months in advance.

Top Colleges In Canada

  • Top Universities
  • Top Colleges
  • Top B-Schools
university of toronto
university of british columbia
mcgill university
mcmaster university
universite de montreal
university of alberta
ottawa university
university of waterloo
university of calgary
queens university
western university
univesite laval
dalhousie university
university of victoria
york university
concordia university
university of saskatchewam
university of manitoba
university of guelph
vancouver island
university of fraser valley
centennial college
red river college
kingston college
hec montreal
university of toronto
queens school
john molson
ryerson university
degroote school
telfer school
university of alberta
dalhouse university
university of calgary


Students interested in applying to a Canadian institution are advised to visit the admission website at their institution(s) of choice to find detailed information about program options, the application process, and application forms.

Some provinces have established a centralized, electronic application process for admission to their institutions: Alberta—ApplyAlberta: Alberta Post-Secondary Application System (

British Columbia—ApplyBC: BC Post-Secondary Application Service (

Ontario—Ontario Universities’ Application Centre ( and Ontario Colleges Application Services (

Nova Scotia—MyNSFuture (

And, for general information about studying in Quebec: http://www.

that they will declare their major in their second or third year. Most Canadian universities allow students to apply to two programs or faculties and students can be accepted by more than one program or faculty. After a student has applied to a university or college, he or she will receive an email acknowledging receipt of the application and requesting any additional documents. The email will also usually contain a personal student number that should be affixed to all documents submitted to the institution thereafter.

Application Fee:

Fees range from 100 to 250 Canadian dollars.

Admission Requirements

For many schools and programs, admission isbased almost entirely on academic grades earned in high school, generally grade 12. Some institutions, however, consider grade 10 and 11 marks as well. If course prerequisites have not been fulfilled, a student may not be accepted. Applicants should keep in mind that high school curricula in Canada and the United States are similar but not identical, which can potentially create confusion about whether a student has satisfied certain requirements. An example of this is how core science classes are taught.

Some Canadian universities require SAT or ACT test scores in addition to a US high school diploma. Some may require SAT Subject tests, depending on the program. Scores can be sent directly to the Canadian institution. IB students can apply with their transcript and IB predicted scores without having to take the SAT or the ACT.

Many Canadian universities accept AP and IB exam scores for academic credit or placement. Information about specific policies should be obtained from the institution’s admission office. An increasing number of highly selective programs (often business, engineering, fine arts, and other majors with limited enrollment) require additional application components, such as a personal profile or a short essay. Personal profiles give the student a chance to reflect on their background, share non-academic leadership experience and other qualities, and demonstrate interest and understanding of the program they hope to enter. This information may play an important role in admission decisions. In some cases, students might be asked to upload a video response to a randomly generated question as part of the application process. Ethnicity/race, legacy, and advancement potential are not permitted as factors in admission decisions.

Tuition and Fees

International student tuition at Canadian universities ranges from CA$7,000 to CA$29,000 per year, depending on the program. Tuition at Canadian colleges range from CA$5,000 to CA$15,000 per year.Factoring in tuition, fees, books, housing, groceries, public transportation, and miscellaneous expenses, estimated costs for a school year in Canada range between CA$15,000 and CA$40,000. The EduCanada website enables students to determine a rough estimate of tuition, food, and housing based on the program and institution, where they are coming from, and whether any dependents will be staying with them

Nearly 70 higher education institutions in Canada accept US federal student loans. Some information about scholarship programs for international students in Canada can be found at Another resource, is a program managed by Fulbright Canada. Scholarship and award options for international undergraduates vary greatly by institution. Some relatively small athletic scholarships (CA$3,000 to CA$4,000) are also available. Generally student-athletes must meet certain academic expectations, in addition to possessing athletic talent, to qualify for these scholarships.

More information on financial aid for international students can be found at:


Most colleges and universities offer housing near or on campus. Dormitories vary but generally feature a shared kitchen, bathroom etc. and laundry facilities. Most university housing also provides required or optional meal plans. Many international students in Canada choose to stay on campus during their first and second year before moving to private accommodations. Some university student service offices maintain lists of recommended house or apartment rentals nearby; however, rental agreements are transacted solely between the student and the property owner.

Students can expect to pay CA$400 to CA$1,500 per month for rent depending on the city, neighborhood, and number of roommates.

Visa and Other Permits:

International students need to get their admission documents and visa approved before entering Canada for education. More details are available at ote that students enrolling in Quebec institutions for programs of six months or more must obtain the Certificate of Acceptance from Quebec (CAQ). For more information, visit: The application fee for a study permit is CA$235. Three key documents are required: an acceptance letter from the Canadian institution, proof of identity (such as a passport), and proof of financial support. A valid study permit also allows international students to work on- or offcampus up to 20 hours per week while classes are in session and full-time during regularly scheduled academic breaks, such as spring break and winter and summer holidays. The Post-Graduation Work Permit Program allows students who have graduated from a participating Canadian institution to work in Canada for up to three years. Skilled Canadian work experience gained through this program helps graduates who wish to stay in Canada longer qualify for permanent residence through the Canadian Experience Class (CEC). More information on study permits and immigration procedures can be found at visit:

Visa fees vary depending on an applicant's circumstances. For more information see:

How to Apply to Study in Canada


Choose to study in Canada


Decide on a course and an institution


Check admission requirements for course and visa


Apply for the course


Receive your letter of admission


Receive visa documents


Apply for your visa


Plan your arrival